ME and Ophelia

Saturday, November 27, 2004

 
IS WAL-MART GOOD FOR AMERICA?
Lower prices means lower wages and lower standard of living?

According to reports out a few days ago, China's Communist Party-controlled labour union is ready to help Wal-Mart Stores set up union branches at its Chinese outlets "as soon as possible. The 123-million-member All-China Federation of Trade Unions plans to push ahead with its demand that foreign enterprises such as Wal-Mart set up trade unions, its officials say.

This news reminds me of a discussion going on at John Fitzgerald's post concerning free trade and Wal-Mart being good for America.

Do lower prices mean lower wages, which means a lower standard of living? I don't think so - not if the goods are manufactured outside of the country from where they are bought. If you read the comments at John's post, please excuse mine. I know what I was trying to say about manufacturing being crucial. But I'm not sure anyone else will make sense of my poorly constructed comment. That'll teach me for leaving comments while over tired.

# posted by Ingrid J. Jones @ 11/27/2004
Comments: Post a Comment
0 comments Newer›  ‹Older

Previously: